Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Grandmother and me.

Here's the continuation of my trip to Brazil. I had finally arrived at my grandmother's house where I would spend my next four weeks. From the day one of my trip I would spend 29 extra days with her. Don't get me wrong, my grandmother is the most adorable lady one could ever meet and I really love her company but after a few days the tension starts to build up.

As we would spend afternoons walking around the block she would take her time to admire thoroughly all kinds of plants and pets on the street while I seriously needed to pee. Patiently I had to hold still and wait for her joyful and long sightseeing.


My Grandmother loves to feed me a lot while I'm visiting her. In the past I would just quietly accept her food and eat it, but now, because of my new healthy eating habits I cannot take too much of her potato balls. My grandmother, however, is very stuborn and she stick it through my mouth. I have no choice but to eat lots and lots of potato balls.


I would purposely stay awake until late so my grandmother would finally go to bed and I would have some alone time to read. My grandmother, however, loves to interrupt me every time I'm reading. She would wake up in the middle of the night and read out loud her japanese books. By the end of the night I wouldn't have gone through a single page of my sidfield's story structure book.


It was finally time to leave back home. My grandmother usually accompanies me to the train station where I take a bus to the airport. We finally got to say good bye to eachother.  My grandmother  hugs me with her short and delicate arms and cries. As a strong man should be, I usually act as bold and unshakable rock.


But as soon as I get into the bus and I see her with tears in her eyes waiving goodbye from the bus window an inexplicable feeling takes over me. I suddenly burst into tears. It's a though feeling. A very complex one. One that is so complex that goes beyond explanation. I guess that's the feeling people describe as love. I guess I'll see her very soon for another time together.  I'll be seeing you soon, grandmother.

17 comments:

Lindselicious said...

Obachan is so cute!

Claire said...

Ok this almost made ME tear up at the end.

Destiny Wood said...

This is very sweet Leo :)

tek! said...

touching ending there! really nice . I see you are working your way thru sidfield's book. Is it as good as robert mckee's ?

Bianca Beneduci said...

Very funny and very touching!

Paul Harmon said...

Awesome stuff! so many hilarious drawings!

Alex said...

Muito bom Léo!! E comovente...o último quadro, o da despedida, está lindo, apesar de triste.
E eu sei como é isso.
A sua avô é realmente amável, e muito carismática. Fico feliz por tê-la conhecido.
Por aqui tudo certo. Correria.
Abraço.

lindsey olivares said...

aw grandmother <3
I have that some complex feeling whenever I leave my grandmother after visiting her in her little town.

Xavier Yabut said...

Sweet story, I like the drawings!

Megan Nicole Dong said...

Really sweet story. Your grandma seems awesome!

Jesse Soto said...

This is very sweet and touching! I guess tough guys do have a soft spot after all :) I've been teary like this on a vacation. Getting away from it all brings emotions to the front of your awareness.

Bruno Tedesco said...

Poxa Léo, muito bonita a história, sei bem como é isso,principalmente depois de conhecer sua vozinha tão adorável. Você tem sorte de te-la por perto... ou melhor, não tão perto, mas ainda sim tão presente em sua vida! Parabéns por conseguir retratar com tanta perfeição e poucos traços mais um episódio do seu cotidiano!

Moro Rogers said...

Aww! Those are sweet! You are a bold and unshakeable rock!

Charles Santoso said...

Touching story.. I really miss my granma :')

Flávio said...

Oi Leo

Cara... vc me emocionou!! Eu me lembro da sua vó sentadinha lá no auditório da Mackenzei tremendo e torcendo por vc na apresentação da banca!! Dava pra ver ali o quanto ela te ama!! Vc merece todo esse amor pelo cara do bem que sempre foi!!

Abs
Fabiano

Leo Matsuda said...

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm glad people noticed that as something touching. It's always so difficult to say goodbye to grandmother.


Claire- I'm happy you feel what I tried to convey. Thank you!!

tek!- that's definitely a great book. It has lots of different points and approaches from R. Mckee so thats nice knowing about it.

Alex- Obrigado pelas palavras amigas Alex. Minha avo e muito especial e fico muito feliz de poder expressar meus sentimentos por ela.

Lindsey: It's definitely a complex feeling. :)

Bruno- Valeu pelos elogios, cara!!Espero reve-los em breve!!

Fabiano: Saudades dos tempos de Mackenzie. Fico muito feliz que ainda se lembre do dia da TGI. Realmente foi um dia de muita emocao tanto para mim como para minha avo. Muito obrigado por trazer essa lembranca a tona.

Lucia said...

you are one lucky man!