Lonely boy

I saw this scene at the Airport a few weeks ago. A family played cards while waiting for their boarding time. What stroke me in this particular situation is the distance between the parents and their son. The mother seemed to be very loving towards her husband and while the boy and his daddy played cards she kept herself physically away from her child. I felt as if I was watching a scene from "Ordinary people" or even "East of Eden". The mother kept whispering at the husband ears while both of them giggled at the child's moves in the game.

 Later on the boy came to hug his mother begging for love but she could barely look at her child's eyes.
Maybe the mother was a mean step-mother or the new girlfriend of his father? Maybe the parents were always distant and the child will grow lonely? Maybe i'm just wrong and the mother was just angry at the boy for something bad he did? Maybe the mother was just tired? I don't know for sure what was that actually happen between the family but that for sure brought me ideas and spurred some thoughts in my mind as far character and behavior goes.

Comments

Sofia said…
I love this! I do the same observations all the time, sorry mi english.
Alex_Munguia said…
wtf, haha thats messed up. Some mothers... that second drawing is so emotive. haha Good Stuff. thanks for posting it.
Carrie Liao said…
aw, that's a bit sad. Beautiful and thoughtful drawings, though!
Chris Palmer said…
Nice motive scene.
Katie said…
Sad...beautiful drawings, though! I love when you draw your everyday life observations.
shamil said…
nice drawings....
tek! said…
great drawings and observation Leo
Jesse Soto said…
That could be torture for the poor kid :( You tend to observe more of these moments the more you draw. You could make a small book of just little sketches. Good stuff!
I love getting inspiration from small moments or simple ideas. Best thing is they always send your mind wondering and creating new scenes. Great job.
Leo Matsuda said…
Sofia: Thanks for visiting my blog. Observing people is definitely a fun exercise. :-)

Alex_Munguia: I'm glad to hear the second drawing evokes some emotion to you. Thank you so much for visiting!!

Carrie Liao: Thank you so much for your kind words!!

Chris Palmer: Thanks man. I hope all is well
with you!!

Katie: Thank you for the kind words, Katie! I'm so glad to hear that you enjoy my everyday life observations. I love your sketches!

Shamil: Thank you, sir!!

tek!: I'm glad you enjoyed it! Awesome posts in your blog too. keep on rocking!!

Jesse: I totally agree w you. I would love to take on the book idea. :-)

Nic XL Gregory art: Thanks man! I love coming up with ideas based on small day-to-day life situations. They ring something true for me. :-)
Wouter Bruneel said…
I find the first drawing very touching. Wonderful composition and story-telling
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ha. Such an awesome scene.. even if it is a bit sad. Love the color choices too.
Bianca Beneduci said…
this is sooooo heartbreaking :(
Heidi Smith said…
I love the design for that little boy.

Popular Posts