Tuesday, May 28, 2013

close encounters

 People always tell me how jealous they are by the fact that I am brazilian. They say: "Wow! you live in a country surrounded by wilderness!"They literally think I actually live in the middle of a rain forrest, surrounded by crocodiles, carnivorous plants, and anacondas.


In fact, I've never seen any rain forrests because they are all located in the extreme North of Brazil . I'm from the south, and the only animals you actually have there are pigeons. These are extremely boring and dirty birds. They shit everywhere and have no respect for people.



Then, a few years ago I came to live in Burbank. I was amazed to see how many amazing animals you guys have here. For instance, you guys have raccoons, rabbits, possums, skunks, deer, coyotes, and my favorites of them all: Squirrels. The are so cute and keep moving their tails around.


Sadly, The Burbank community take their squirrels for granted. Everyday I go to work, I witness these wonderful creatures being run over in most terrible ways imaginable.


Whenever I go have lunch at the comissary with my co-workers, we have to cross a path filled with  squirrels.


                                     I cannot contain myself with excitement.


                                          My co-workers ridicule my behavior.


                             Co-worker:  "See?! I told you he acts like a bum sometimes."


                                    Overhearing those comments I feel so lame.



            I have to hide my feelings and pretend I don't care about squirrels so people think I'm cool.





          That repression kills me from inside out. I have to find a ways to express my feelings.




                                          So one afternoon I have an idea: A underground operation.
                      

...I sneak out of the building without no one noticing.

                                                                ...disguise myself...


                                                          .....and go to starbucks.


                                         I exchange goods with the Starbucks lady.


                              I pay for the product. She gives me the the usual caffeinated stuff.


                                             But this time I ask for the pink stuff too.


                                        Carrying my goods, I go to the commissary.


                                         There I am at the underground zone.


                                         I look around to see if the coast is clear.



I Sip my coffee and discreetly check my surroundings.




No signs of co-workers or burbank people.



                                            So I pull the pink stuff from my pocket.





...get ready for action...



                                                    ...and wait for it.



                             From behind the trees, a little chubby one finally comes.


                                               He looks suspicious at first.


         With his big eyes he looks at me while moving his furry tail up and down. 
I am also a bit nervous. I look back to him and awkwardly smile.



To my surprise, the little guy smiles back.


                           He slowly approaches and gently grabs one good from my hands.


      Then, noticing I am a trustworthy fellow, he feels comfortable in grabbing all the three goods.


                                        After that,  he runs back to the woods.


                                          ....and disappears forever.





                           
                                      I knew that at that moment I had made a connection.


                                          One might even call it, a friendship.   
                         

                        almond nuts: 3,50 dollars    caramel machiatto: 4,35 dollars
                        being catch by co-workers: un-coolness title




                                      close encounter with a squirrel: PRICELESS.












                                             




20 comments:

Ali Pour Nassari said...

One of the funniest, and most interesting boards i've seen. Made my day.

tek! said...

A lovely story once again and hurray for drawing big nostrils! and BOOH for those jaded co-workers!

Claire said...

I love your stories, Leo! I remember when I moved back to the States from Europe as a kid I thought squirrels were amazing too! :-)

Sean McCormack said...

Fantastic!!
Its great to see that there are other people out there who geek about squirrels as much as I do! Love the humor of this!!! BELEZA!

Angela Pan said...

you are so cool for loving squirrels and kindly feeding them!!

mylydy said...

hahaha I feel the same with little pets XD

mylydy said...

best animals character designs ever ^^

Leo Matsuda said...

Thank you everyone for the kind comments. I'm glad I'm not the only one that appreciate these little furry guys. :-)

Avner Geller said...

squirrels are the best! This is wonderful, Leo!

Matt J said...

Oh man, so funny I farted!

pbcbstudios said...

Nice job Neil!!

stephen said...

way to go with your feelings, leo!

Donna Hyun Lee said...

Cute! I'm sure the squirrels will remember your good deeds. For real, those guys don't forget because they always come back for more.

Ashley perez said...

This is a very funny and cute story Leo!

kamoulox said...

so funny :D

Alexandre Augusto said...

Demais Léo!

Señorita Tejon said...

Hahaha!! so fuuny!
You made my day (:!
We have squirrels here in Mexico too!!
I'll make sure to feed one in you name :>

Jason Newkirk said...

really dig your boards, you tell a story well with your art.

Ted M said...

The NATURE!

喜洋洋 said...

高雄縣徵信商業同業公會
南部徵信聯盟
外遇觀測站
大愛離婚諮詢網
離婚大剖析
大愛徵信有限公司
尋人專家徵信服務網
女人徵信公司
華陀徵信
離婚協助中心
跟蹤蒐證徵信器材網
抓姦觀測
大愛徵信
溫馨徵信
成功徵信社